Materials Required for Sewing Shorts
You will need basic sewing tools, which you probably already have.
- Elastic: To make your shorts’ slip-on waistband, you will need elastic. To determine how much elastic you will need, refer to the pattern.
- Fabric: There are many fabrics you can use to make shorts. However, a light and comfortable fabric is best for beginners. Avoid using thick or stretchy fabrics. They can be difficult to work with. If you are working with denim, make sure your needle can penetrate the fabric.
- Iron: Use an iron for pressing seams and removing wrinkles while you sew. This will allow you to make straight lines and get crisp lines.
- Sewing machine: This project requires a sewing machine to make straight lines. It will ensure a quick and professional result. Learn how to use the sewing machine.
- Shorts pattern: Select a shorts pattern that suits your silhouette. Online, you can find free patterns or browse the options in your local fabric shop.
- To make DIY: Shorts, you will need sewing supplies, including tailor’s chalk and pins.
How to sew shorts
It’s a rewarding and fun DIY project to make clothes. These are the steps to making simple shorts at your home.
- Your workspace should be set up. Place all your tools on a clean surface. To protect your surface from cutting and sewing needles, make sure you lay down a mat under your fabric. You should have enough surface to allow you to lay your fabric flat.
- Mark your pattern and pin it. Place the pattern pieces on your fabric flat so that they don’t touch. Pin them down and then use the tailors chalk to draw the edges. Next, cut out the pattern pieces from your fabric leaving a quarter inch seam allowance.
- The front pieces should be sewn together. Place the front pieces of your shorts, left leg and right leg, on top of each other so that they line up. Make sure that the wrong side faces out. You can fold the front of your shorts like a book by pining and sewing the center seam. To leave the leg holes exposed, stop at the crotch.
- The back pieces should be sewn together. For the back pattern pieces on your shorts, repeat the previous step. Pin them together and place them on top of each other. Now you will have two pieces of fabric. These are the front and back of your shorts.
- Add the side and crotch seams. Place the bottom and top pieces of your shorts on top of each other so that the vertical seams at the center are aligned. Pin the leg inseams and sew. To ensure that the crotch seam is secure, use a zigzag stitch. Pin the sides seams and sew them.
- The elastic waistband should be made. Two strips of fabric should be cut according to the dimensions of your pattern. To hide the raw edges, fold the long edges under and press with an iron. To make a tube, pin and sew the long edges together. With a straight stitch, attach the tube of fabric to your shorts. The elastic should be fed through the tube opening in your waistband. To help feed the elastic through, attach a safety pin at the end. Sew the opening in your waistband closed by stitching the elastic bands together.
- Hem the bottom. Fold the bottom of the legs under twice to finish the shorts. Use an iron to press the bottom edges to hem your legs. This will prevent fraying and give you a polished product.