Bow ties can be worn for semi-formal events, black tie events and casual day-today wear. The dress code will dictate the style of the bow tie.
What is a Bow Tie?
A bow tie is a necktie made of thin fabric that is tied around the collar. Bow ties can be tied in many ways. Some may be looser and more floppier while others are tighter and more cinched. While bow ties are essential for a formal tuxedo or suit, you can also wear casual bowties in a variety of colors and patterns.
A Brief History of Bow Tie
The history of the bow tie goes back to the 17th century, and it has changed throughout history.
Croatian collars: In the seventeenth century, bow ties were used as scarves to make scarves. To keep their shirt collars closed, Croatian mercenaries wore scarves tied to their heads.
The cravat: From this scarf, the cravat was born. It is a French fashion staple that French aristocrats love to wear.
Professional attire: Bow ties were a staple of professional menswear in the 19th and 20th centuries. Bow ties were a symbol for intellectualism and became a popular choice of attire for professors. Pediatricians also began wearing bowties out of practicality–children could not grab at the shorter bowtie.
Formalwear: Bow ties are a common choice for weddings and special events today. They can be worn with dress shirts by all genders to create unique, formal and individual looks.
Make sure the bow tie you choose matches your collared shirt. For formal events, a wingtip collar is better than a straight collar.
Four ways to style a bow tie
Bow ties can add style to any outfit, no matter if you are wearing a suit or a tuxedo, or something more casual.
It can be worn with a tuxedo. Black bow ties are an essential part of the tuxedo. For white tie events, you can wear a white bowtie with your black tuxedo.
Wear a jacketless bow tie and suspenders. A bow tie can be worn with either a blazer, suit or a shirt. To create a casual look, you can wear a button-down shirt with your dress pants. You can also add suspenders and a tie to make it more casual.
It can be matched with your pocket square. Bow ties add a focal point and pop to any outfit. Bow ties can be used to complement other pieces of your outfit, such as the belt, pocket square, or cufflinks.
A patterned bow tie can be a great addition to your wardrobe. You can add a fun, colorful, polkadotted, or paisley tie to your formal wear. It can be worn to weddings that have a more formal dress code or to work to give your workwear a preppy touch.
Consider wearing either a pre-tied or clip-on bow tie if you’re new to bow ties. You can find many styles of these easy-to-wear bowties.
In 5 Easy Steps, How to Sew Leather
Leather can be difficult to work with because it is a hard material. These tips will show you how to sew leather by yourself.
Also Read: deep clean your carpets before winter
What is the best stitch to use on leather?
A saddle stitch is the best choice for leatherwork. A saddle stitch is a way to connect every hole on the opposite sides of your fabric, as opposed to using straight stitches. Instead of connecting each hole on either side of your textile like you would with straight stitches. It creates one continuous line of stitches that has no gaps.
Both hand-sewing leather and regular sewing machines have their advantages. Hand sewing is a great way to create precise saddle stitches in thick leather. This ensures that the fabric stays flat throughout the process. Although a sewing machine is faster when sewing through suede or thin leather, you will still need a walking foot to help guide the fabric.
Seven Materials Required for Sewing Leather
Leathercraft is a specific type of sewing that requires certain materials you might not need for other projects. These are the materials you will need.
- Binder clips: Binder clips are better than pins for holding your leather pieces in place while you sew and cut.
- Leather: For your first sewing project, it is important to work with thin leather. It is easier to work with thinner pieces than with thicker ones.
- Leather bag: You will need a pattern that is specifically designed for leather. It should include proper instructions. You can also find online patterns for leather items, such as a simple leather bag or pouch.
- Walking foot and sewing machine: A walking foot or another type of foot can be added to a sewing machine to help guide the leather through its bobbin. Learn how to use your sewing machine.
- Sharp cutting tools: To cut material with precision, use very sharp scissors or a Rotary cutter.
- Stitching pony, awl and stitching pony: A stitching pony is a wooden device that holds the leather upright. An awl can poke holes in your material to make it easier to sew.
- Waxed thread and leather sewing machines: Leather is a thick material so a leather sewing machine (rather than a universal one) should be used.
Here are 4 tips for sewing leather
These are some tips to help you know what to do when making leather crafts.
- Try scrap leather: Buy extra fabric before you start your leather sewing project. This will allow you to practice stitching and using an awl, which is a tool that creates permanent holes in the material.
- Stitch straight: Stitching leather is difficult because you must stitch straight lines while keeping your fabric flat. As you stitch leather, make sure to keep your fabric tighten as you go. Don’t pull too hard on the thread, as this can cause the fabric to wrinkle. As you work, check your accuracy and progress.
- Extra-sharp sewing machines are recommended: Leather is a heavy-duty fabric with no natural holes (like woven textiles), or flexibility (like knitted fabrics). It is therefore crucial to use sharp tools that can penetrate the material without tearing.
- Slow down: Sewing leather requires sharp tools, including scissors and awls, so it is important to work slowly in order to avoid injury to your work surface.